I’m often asked about the difference between and benefits of sugar scrub and salt scrub. Surprisingly, they are quite different, however, there are benefits to using both.
Sugar scrub can be used on most all types of skin. Here are some of their benefits:
- Sugar granules are smaller and softer than salt granules and not as harsh on skin.
- Sugar is a natural source of glycolic acid that, when used on skin, breaks down the bonding agents that hold skin cells together, spurring cell turnover and creating younger looking, softer skin. Glycolic acid is also used to treat sun damaged skin.
- Sugar is a humectant, meaning it pulls moisture into the skin from the air. When applying products with sugar to your skin, they help moisturize and preserve hydration within.
- Sugar will slowly dissolve with warm water, so when used in a scrub, your skin is left only with the nourishing base oil. In my sugar scrubs, I use organic coconut oil and organic vitamin E oil as base oils. So after the sugar exfoliates rough, dead skin, it then dissolves leaving moisturized silky smooth skin.
Salt scrub is best not used on the face or on sensitive skin. However, they offer some benefits as well:
- Salt contains magnesium which helps to reduce inflammation and flush away toxins. Sea salt, derived from seawater, contains many skin loving minerals which can improve blood circulation to your skin.
- The large, tough salt granules in salt scrubs can remove dead and hardened skin when rubbed on the skin. The longer dead skin cells remain on the surface of the skin, the thicker they become making skin look dull and dry.
- Salt scrubs can cause scarring by creating micro tears in the skin. When overused, they can leave skin dry and irritated. They are best used on tough patches of skin like the bottom of feet or elbows.
Out of the two types of scrubs, I like using sugar scrubs because they are gentle enough for the whole body while also providing excellent exfoliation and skin cell turnover. After use, I’m always left with fresh and radiant looking skin!